Monday, February 2, 2009

The Hunks Dynasty Continues

As I write this morning, my fingers may be the only part of my body still working. My ribs are bruised from an attempted dive into the end zone (see slide show). My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my head hurts. But that's the price you pay to be a champion. The Hunks (old guys) were victorious over the Punks (jr. high and high school boys) once again in our annual neighborhood football game. But today, the day after, I suspect that the Punks are feeling much better than the Hunks.

I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. Last week we celebrated a neighbor's 70th birthday. This weekend we played football, ate together, and watched the big game. But the big events aren't the most significant. It's the daily interaction, the sidewalk conversations, the parenting by committee, and offers to help each other with little things or big things that really make the difference. A standard has been set. We expect to see each other, care for each other. Some of us are committed to belonging, serving, growing and playing together.

Neighborhood life is a remedial exercise for most Americans (including me). It has to be taught and modeled, and hopefully embraced by a few. Perhaps the most important step in building it is to identify one other neighbor or family who will join you in pursuing it. For us, that has been the Cromarties, who have lived on our street longer than most and whose home is a hub in the neighborhood for kids and adults alike. While we were watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I had a brief conversation with a friend who lives in another neighborhood. He spoke of their desire to build community where they live, and how they wanted to initiate some neighborhood activities once each month. That's a great place to start. I believe that if you take initiative, God will often reveal that crucial one other family to partner with you in neighborhood ministry. Pray for that person or family. They may or may not attend the same church as you on Sunday morning, but they may be the church with you the other 6 1/2 days of the week. The only real requirement is that they are followers of Christ and share your commitment to belong, serve, grow and play together. It doesn't usually happen overnight. Relationships are measured in months and years, not days. But there is a great reward for perseverance.

Christ's life is spilling onto me from my neighbors, and hopefully He is using me in their lives also. We still have a long way to go. Most of our neighbors will have a beer with us, and a few will pray with us. Who knows what God will do?

No comments: